May 24, 2018, 06:59:11 am

News:

Welcome to the Platino support forum!

Updates?

Started by raybelisle, December 03, 2017, 09:01:33 am

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

raybelisle

I'm assuming that nothing with Platino 4 is going to happen this year (or maybe ever?). The information from BlackGate seems to have dried up. This blog post is almost a year old (https://platino.io/more-platino-4-news-coming-but-first-some-notes-on-platino-3/) with no follow up I can see, except for the header on the forum that states:

We've got some huge Platino 4 updates coming very soon, so check back here next week.

July, 2017

with no additional information I can find. I hope I'm wrong. I bought Platino in the past, not because I had a need for it right away, but to support BlackGate and the work they were doing to help bring a good game development framework to the Appcelerator community, kinda hoping someday I would have a real use for it. Played a bunch and always tried to keep up to date on what was being developed by BlackGate...

Since most information publishing has gone quiet, it would be nice to hear something from John or Peach to let the community know if there will be any further development or updates.

As I said, really hoping I'm wrong.

Ray Belisle

Asuncio

I'm afraid you might be right. I haven't read any fresh info in months. Hopefully they just took a hiatus though. We'll see.

drunnells

johngould

February 03, 2018, 09:48:55 pm #3 Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:51:27 pm by johngould
Quote from: drunnells on January 29, 2018, 06:53:25 pmFound this on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/AvatarJohn/status/953488995647762435

Can't wait to try out Platino 4!

Thanks, drunnells.  Again, I must apologize to everyone for the lack of updates.

We haven't stopped working on Platino 4, but unfortunately, ran into some very difficult issues with both our new rendering engine and the Ti.SDK framework that Platino has always relied upon which forced us to make some painful decisions about the direction we were going with version 4.  We are admittedly a small business, and the rapid changes and effective closing-up of a previously open-source framework made our our original plans for v.4 simply impossible.

Bottom line: Rather than being an iteration on Platino 3, version 4 is essentially being rebuilt from the ground up.  We have settled on a different rendering engine that will deliver the 2D and 3D features and performance that we've always promised for this version and will give us the flexibility to support not only iOS and Android (with OpenGL ES 3.1!) but eventually other platforms, including Windows and Mac desktop and OculusVR.

Regarding Ti.SDK, here's the headline:  We're not using the Ti.SDK framework any more.  It's become clear that the current steward of that SDK is going in a direction to lock smaller companies such as ourselves out of the marketplace without requiring our users to purchase their toolset and their closed compiler, and after many months and even years fighting to resolve that situation, we finally came to the conclusion that we had to just move on and go a totally different direction.  And that direction, for better or for worse, is NativeScript.

So there you go.  We are abandoning "Ti" (I'm even reluctant to use the full word, as it's been trademarked & when we're spending time and resources just figuring out what words can and cannot be used to describe our own product, that's just a total waste) and Platino 4 will be the first and only native-rendering game engine for NativeScript!  Other engines for NS render to WebGL, but Platino has always been a native-rendering game engine, and version 4 will be no exception.  As mentioned above, our rendering engine uses cutting-edge OpenGL ES 3.1 to render games with native performance, but still built using JavaScript!  The performance of rendering to WebGL simply will never be as good as native, and it's not good enough for us.  And we are taking care to make v.4 as close to backwards-compatible as we possibly can, so if you've got games written in version 3 for Ti.SDK, our goal is to let you take that code exactly as-is and port it to v.4 with as little change as possible.  If we have to, we will ship with a simple converter, but at the end of the day, our existing APIs will work exactly the same way as they do in v.3, and you'll have access to a whole new world of true 3D game development that Platino has never offered before.

In the next few months, I will be posting more information on Twitter, on our website (platino.io), and here in our forums, and will be announcing a new release schedule for 2018 that we will stick to.  We know we've let our customers and community down by not updating you and by not releasing Platino 4 in 2017 as originally promised, but we're now well underway in rebuilding from the ground up, and we will be releasing in 2018.  I appreciate the passion and excitement of our community and I'm as eager as anyone else to start making awesome games with our new engine!  Last year was rough, but I'm very excited and optimistic right now and this is going to be the year of Platino!   ;D

Stay tuned, and definitely follow me on Twitter (@AvatarJohn) for the latest and greatest news!  I'll be sure and use #Platino for any relevant info.

--John Gould
Black Gate Games, LLC
Platino, Inc.

Go Up