Last post by johngould - July 14, 2017, 01:26:20 pm
We originally had no intention of making version 3 compatible with TI SDK 6+, but version 4 is going to be fully backwards-compatible, so when the beta is available, your existing Platino code will be portable to the new version.
However, as I mentioned, we've had a delay in getting to the beta stage, primarily due to some big improvements and necessary shifts in our long-term roadmap to make sure the product is the best we can possibly offer and that we can maintain a stable development platform for the foreseeable future. Issues like Ti 6's breaking changes and other developments along those lines forced us to take on more scope to insure we'd have full control over the stability of our own product rather than rely, even partially, on someone else.
Sorry to get a bit into the weeds, but to get back to the subject, we're discussing the possibility of one more interim minor version or patch to make Platino 3 work with Ti 6. I'll let you know as soon as we decide what to do about that. And if you can possibly use the current version with the Android SDK API 23, which can exist side-by-side with later versions, your code will continue to work in Platino 4. We'll also be making an announcement next week about a definite release date for the beta, which you'll be able to download, and which should be stable enough to use and build games with from the outset, and the final version slated for later this year.
Last post by johngould - July 14, 2017, 11:58:18 am
Unfortunately, we can't just recompile Platino 3 to work with TI SDK 6+. There were breaking changes in that version that would require some pretty major code changes. We've been concentrating our efforts and resources on getting Platino 4 out to you as quickly as possible rather than supporting version 3 beyond the 5.x SDK. However, as there's been a slight delay in getting the beta of version 4 out for everyone to try, we are taking another look at possibly putting out a new minor version for v.3 to work with SDK 6. I will update this thread and include our decision on that in our next newsletter, which we have planned for early next week.